• We would be sorry to see you go but we understand that people have to move on for all sorts of reasons.  Here’s what to do if you’re planning to leave one of our flats or houses.  Remember that you need to give us 28 days notice in writing.
Things to do

You must give us at least 28 days notice in writing that you intend to end your tenancy. This is an agreement you made when you first signed your tenancy agreement.

When we receive your notice, we will arrange an appointment for your Housing Officer to visit you at home. This is to have a look round the house or flat to check for any repairs which need done and to make sure the property is in a good condition for the next person to move into.  After this we will let you know any repairs or decoration you are responsible for and what you’ll need to do before handing in the keys.

We will let you know in writing

  • The arrangements for returning the keys
  • The condition the property and garden is expected to be left in
  • Any repairs which will be your responsibility
The following information is useful guide as to what is expected of you when ending your tenancy:

You must make sure that you take all your belongings are away with your from both the house/ flat and garden, including all carpets, furniture, kitchen items and white goods such as washing machines, fridges and cookers.

As agreed in your tenancy agreement:

  • All rubbish must be removed from the property and garden area.
  • Any items damaged or removed, such as internal doors, light switches, skirtings, facings etc must be replaced with a suitable and acceptable alternative.
  • All nails, screws, tacks, posters etc must be removed from walls, doors, ceilings and floors. All holes must be filled.
  • Lino or any other floor tiles that have been laid must be removed, and the floor surface should be cleaned and left in good order.
  • All kitchen units, worktops, sinks and toilets must be cleaned.
  • If you have a rotary dryer this should be in good order, if you have clothes poles these should be in the original location.
  • Any decoration or repairs noted at the time of the inspection must be carried out before the keys are handed back.
  • Leave us a forwarding address.

Please let us know which company supplies your gas and electricity. If you do not have standard metres we will take a note of your key/card details for both accounts. This is to make sure that the new tenant is can get gas and electricity supplied as soon as they move in.


What happens after I return my keys?

After you return your keys, your Housing Officer will visit the property again. It’s important that you leave the property clean, clear and in good condition as agreed.

If there is anything left in the house or work needing done, then we will have to pay a contractor to remove any items or carry out repairs or cleaning. The full cost of these works will then be your responsibility as the former tenant and we will send you an invoice payment.  It is very important that you work closely with your Housing Officer to make sure this doesn’t happen.

What happens next?

We hope it doesn’t happen but if we have sent you an invoice for work we needed to do to make your old flat or house suitable for the next person, then we will expect you to pay.  We will accept a payment arrangement but we may also consider sending your details to a debt collector if we don’t hear from you or receive any payment.


Do you have a lot of furniture or belongings that could be of use to someone else? If so, you could consider donating furniture, appliances, small household items and clothes. Just check out the local charities to find out who may be interested in taking your belongings. You could also take the opportunity to make some money and advertise what you don’t need online. Just remember to organise donations and sales of items well in advance of when you plan to move out!

  1. Here’s a handy checklist of who to inform that you’re moving and your new address:
  2. Electricity supplier
  3. Gas supplier
  4. City of Edinburgh Council for Council Tax
  5. Electoral Register
  6. Bank
  7. Department of Works and Pensions
  8. Insurance provider
  9. Royal Mail to redirect mail to your new address