Do you want to move?


If you have decided that you would like to move house there are several ways to do so. You can apply for a:


  • Transfer
  • House Exchange
  • Move to another landlord


  • Click the boxes below to learn more.






What is a Transfer?

A transfer is when you are rehoused by us in a new property.

How do I get one?

You need to fill in an Edindex application form. They are available from our reception or, if you telephone us, we can send one out to you.

What happens next?
  • Your application will be assessed by Edindex and your details will be included on the common housing register. We will arrange for our Housing Officer to visit you at home.  This is to discuss your reasons for applying for a transfer and to confirm your housing need.  Your Housing officer will also carry out an inspection of your home and discuss any decoration or repairs that may need done.

If you have any rent arrears, outstanding repair bills or any other problems with your tenancy, we may not be able to consider you for an offer of housing until the situation is resolved.

How long will I wait?

We cannot really say how long you may have to wait for an offer as it depends on a suitable property becoming available. We also are required to allocate homes to those in the greatest need, and you may not be in that position when a suitable property does become available.

What is an exchange?

An exchange is when you find someone to swap houses with. They must be a tenant of a housing association or the Council.

How do I find someone to swap with?

There is now a city wide exchange facility, called Edinburgh House Exchange. If you do not have access to the internet, you can register by completing an application form. Once you are registered, if you need help to search for matches, contact our Assistant Housing Officers who will be able to help.

When you have completed and returned the form, your details are posted on the site. You can then check the site to find out if there are any properties that you are interested in moving to.

What happens next?

When you have found someone to exchange with we will check that there have been no problems with your tenancy, that your rent account is clear and you have no unpaid charges. We will then inspect your home to make sure that you have kept it in good condition. We will also ask for a reference for the tenant you are swopping with. Permission will not be given to exchange if a move would result in our property being overcrowded or underoccupied.

Can I apply to other landlords?

You can apply to other landlords, including other housing associations or councils, to give yourself the best chance of rehousing. You should really consider this if you want to move both within Muirhouse and the wider Edinburgh area.

How do I go about it?

If you want to be rehoused in Edinburgh, we can send you out an Edindex application to complete. This will register you with all housing associations in Edinburgh, as well as the Council.

For outside Edinburgh you should contact the council within the area you wish to move to. They can advise on the best way to apply for housing in that area.