Free and Confidential Money and Benefits Advice
We would like you to meet Suzanne Wight, our Financial Inclusion Officer, who can help you with money and benefits advice. She can check that you are getting all the benefits that you are entitled to, help fill in forms for benefits and grants, give financial, budgeting and debt management advice. For example, Suzanne just recently helped someone claim a benefit which they were entitled to and they are now better off by over £100 a week! If you’re having trouble with your benefits or think they’re wrong, then get in touch.
Suzanne works with us one day a week, so if you would like to make an appointment for her to visit you at home or at the office, please contact your Housing Officer who will be happy to arrange this for you.
Home Energy Advice from Simon
We understand with costs of gas and electricity regularly rising people are looking for ways to reduce their bills and increase their energy efficiency. We have arranged free, expert and confidential support for you from our Home Energy Adviser, Simon. He can visit you in the comfort of your own home and can help with the following:
• Reducing your costs by identifying cheaper tariffs, help with switching to another energy supplier as well as looking at how you pay for your energy.
• Support with addressing energy debts and accessing funds such as the Warm Home Discount Scheme (see below). Contacting suppliers to arrange affordable and realistic repayment plans.
• Assist with demonstrating how heating and timing systems work, helping to set programmes to ensure heating and hot water comes on when you want it and need it.
• Providing advice and information on how to reduce and avoid condensation (which can lead to damp and mould).
• Discuss ways in which you can reduce your energy use around the home – cutting your bills while helping the environment!
Useful numbers and websites
134-138 West Granton Road, Edinburgh, EH5 1PE, Tel: 0131 551 1459 http://gic.org.uk/index.html
249 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1YJ, Tel: 2002360, advice.shop@Edinburgh.gov.uk, http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/
Money, welfare rights, council tax and fuel and debt advice
Tel: 01314752354 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org, https://cyrenians.scot/
Offers advice on problems with your landlord, difficulty claiming benefits, or paying rent, mortgage or other debts
Income and Benefits, Customer Service, Corporate Government, PO Box 1233, Edinburgh, EH7 9DN, Tel: 01314695000, Email: incomebenefits@Edinburgh.gov.uk, http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/