Medical Adaptations

To assist you to live indecently and safely in your home for as long as possible, you may benefit from an alteration or adaptation due to your changing needs.

Adaptations can include:

  • Grab rails and additional banisters
  • Handrails
  • Walk-in showers
  • Wet floor shower areas
  • Ramp access outside your property
  • Hoists

To allow us to consider a request for an adaptation we need a referral from an Occupational Therapist or qualified expert.

Please contact your local council social work department or your GP to arrange a referral. They will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you at home, where they will carry out an assessment of your needs.


City of Edinburgh Council

Social Care Direct
40 Captain’s Rd
Edinburgh EH17 8HN
Tel: 0131-200-2324